Your holiday is coming up and it’s time to pack! You may not know what to expect from a Tanzanian holiday, so we have drawn up this packing list to help you. Of course, you will need the basics that you always take when travelling, but on safari there are also some specific items we think are handy to have with you as well.
We would like to ask you to pack as lightly as possible. Really think about what you need and leave the less important things at home. Smaller duffle bags fit much better into safari jeeps. Also, if you have a domestic flight in your itinerary you can only take 15kg of checked-in luggage per person. That may seem impossible, but you will manage!
What to pack for a Tanzania Safari?
- Duffle bag instead of suitcase (soft cases fit better in the jeep than hard cases)
- Smaller day backpack for personal belongings
- Passport (valid for at least 6 months)
- Ticket / boarding pass
- Cash (US Dollars)
- Bank cards
- Vaccination booklet
- Travel insurance policy
- Long pants, for evenings or early mornings
- Shorts/ skirts/ dresses
- T-shirts, polos, short sleeve tops
- Long sleeve shirts for evenings or early mornings
- 1 or 2 sweaters, for evenings or early mornings
- Underwear, socks & nightwear
- Shoes (sneakers, hiking shoes)
- Slippers / sandals
- Belt, scarf, jewelry
- A laundry bag (no plastic 🌿)
Accessories & Medication:
- Contact lenses / reading glasses
- Hat, cap, headband, scarf (against the sun and dust)
- Suncream/protection, also for lips (min factor 30)
- Mosquito repellent (DEET)
- First aid kit: thermometer, painkillers, plasters, iodine, disinfectant wipes, gauze.
- Malaria prophylaxes
- Personal medication
- Reading books / e-reader
Camera & gadgets:
- Travel adapter (English 3-plug)
- Photo camera / video camera
- Different lenses *
- Camera memory card, battery and charger
- Phone & phone charger
- Ipad / tablet & charger
- Possibly GoPro or other gadgets
Useful Safari must-haves:
- Binoculars (8×32 or 10×42)
- Pocket knife (handy during the picnic lunch)
- Tasty snacks or energy bars (you will get good meals, but some people like their own snacks as well)
- Travel alarm clock (or telephone)
- Tanzania guide / wildlife books / bird books
- Puzzle booklet or other entertainment for in the jeep
* for the safari we recommend a 70-300mm lens, but if you really want to go all-in the bigger the better, a 600mm lens is great for beautiful close-ups of wildlife!
👉🏽 Mosquito nets, towels, beach towels, shampoo and soap are provided by accommodations. You do not have to bring this.
🌿 Please note: plastic bags are prohibited in Tanzania.
✅ Check, ✅ check, ✅ double check. Have you packed everything? Then we are ready to receive you in Tanzania! Karibu! (Welcome!)